How to Motivate Staff in the Workplace
David Saul, managing director of Business Environment, suggests the following:
Keeping staff happy in the workplace is something that should be a top priority for all business leaders. In the last 18 years since establishing Business Environment, I have always been passionate that coming into work should, above all, be an enjoyable experience. It would seem that our staff continue to agree since this year we finished in the top 100 Sunday Times ‘Best Small Companies to work for’ for the fourth consecutive year running. We pride ourselves on delivering excellent customer service, something that I believe is achieved through our positive working environment.
1) Comprehensive inductions to new staff are key to a low turnover. Set the right expectations to your staff at the recruitment stage and let them know what support is available to them.
2) Communicating regularly with your employees can resolve problems quickly and simply and ensures that teams are kept in the loop. Getting staff involved in decision-making really helps employees to feel part of the team.
3) A positive work-life balance should be encouraged to all your staff. Supporting employees when flexibility around work is required will pay dividends in the long run, building loyal relationships and promoting low turnover.
4) Reward your staff with team socials and excellent benefit packages. We have an annual family fun day every summer for employees and their families and offer free gym membership for all. This has the added benefit of keeping employees fit and healthy. If your staff are healthy and happy, you’re more likely to achieve better results.
5) Support charities by giving employees time off to volunteer and get involved with local community activities. Business Environment has a policy about giving back and likewise, in 2007, five other leading businessmen and I set up Rays of Sunshine, a charity with the specific aim of granting terminally and severely ill children a ‘wish’. The charity stills runs from offices provided by Business Environment and supports a cause that is very close to all of our hearts.