Leading the scene at being green
Being green isn't just something we add to our agenda, it's part of the fabric of BE.
Why do we go the extra mile to be green? Quite simply because it means you can rest assured that by being in BE Offices workspace you are working in an eco-friendly environment. It's important to you and it's important to us.
And it's not just talk - We have an ambitious goal to be carbon neutral by the end of 2025.
Our policy changes and initiatives
We've delivered the following and don't intend to stop now:
1. Zero waste to landfill policy: Zero waste to landfill was first achieved through our waste partners BPR in 2015 with non-recyclable waste producing electricity that’s sold back to the national grid.
2. Energy from renewable sources: In 2018 we switched energy supplier to one who generates electricity from only renewable sources. 95% of our portfolio is now powered by renewable energy.
3. The binless office: The introduction of the binless office concept in 2015, to encourage clients, staff and partners to use recycling points in offices instead of bins under desks saw a 25% increase in recycling volumes.
4. Motion sensor lighting: Introduced motion sensor lighting at UK centres to reduce electricity use when office space is empty.
5. LED lighting: As of January 2022 we are 90% of the way through a multi-million pound programme to install LED lights throughout the entire portfolio.
6. Carbon neutral servers: We operate on carbon neutral server hosting.
7. Single-use plastics: Where possible we have removed single-use plastics including plastic water cups and plastic used in our catering services.
8. Chemical use: In partnership with our cleaning company we use eco-friendly, non-hazardous, biodegradable cleaning products for daily cleaning.
9. PPE recycling: We've installed PPE recycling facilities at all our centres.
BE Offices is unique in that we have our own in-house project team, The Green Group. Established in 2009, the Green Group was formed to measure and challenge every process in our business that has an environmental impact, to make every one of those processes greener, more energy efficient and better for the environment. The group monitors our green and energy KPIs and report on a monthly basis on recycling performance, waste and energy consumption at every business centre and at our head office.
Bike racks and cycle to work scheme
Reducing your carbon footprint is a goal that every business and individual must look at to be considered green. This is why we have installed bike racks at most of our business centres to allow our clients to use a cycle to get to work. These have been incredibly popular and as always we will continue to provide extras to our clients at no extra cost, as part of our 'all-inclusive' policy.
We also have a cycle to work scheme for BE staff, which allows individuals an easy and cost-effective method of purchasing a bicycle.
Carbon neutral hosting servers
We are proud to have the UK's first carbon neutral hosting servers for our online platforms. Our hosted servers are powered by hydro-electricity, a green source of energy.
We have set up Reclaim IT recycle points in our centres to recycle old ink and toner cartridges and mobile phones to encourage clients to recycle 100% of their waste. We have committed to donating 100% of the value raised to our chosen charity, Rays of Sunshine.
Recycling and green schemes
We go above and beyond business basics to ensure we are leading our industry...
It is estimated that our binless offices recycling initiative reduces waste by 86%.
BE Offices recycled over 323 tonnes of business waste in 2019, almost the equivalent of a large yacht.
Recycling our coffee grounds produces coffee logs which can be used for wood burners and multi-fuel stoves.
In 2019 our recycling efforts saved 924 trees.
1. BE Offices recycle enough waste each year to cover a football pitch
2. The carbon saved annually is equivalent to nearly 6,000 car journeys from London to Edinburgh and back
3. Or keeping a kettle boiling for over 5056 days, the equivalent of almost 14 years
4. Or leaving a dishwasher on for almost 17 years
5. Or flying to New York from London 3.1 times.
At our head office, it has been calculated that each employee recycles 2.0 kg per week.
For the latest information on the Green Group’s initiatives please view our Green News and Press Releases
Our Green Team
Meet our internal team representing every area our business and challenged with making every process within the organisation more environmentally friendly.