Continuing our hybrid events programme, this week we ran a virtual sustainability workshop in partnership with Planet Mark, to learn more about what business can do to help address climate change.
All businesses have a part to play in tackling the climate emergency, indeed, by 2050 every organisation in the UK will need to have achieved net zero emissions in accordance with the target set by the Government. In London the deadline for decarbonisation is even closer, with the Mayor of London having committed to achieving net zero carbon emissions in the capital by 2030.
The workshop offered a brief introduction to why sustainability is important for business and demystified key terms and concepts, as well as offering advice to clients on how they can get started on their sustainability journeys. It was also an opportunity for us to showcase the measures we’ve already taken to decarbonise our business, which in turn benefits clients who can rest assured that they are working in office space which already takes care of some of what would otherwise be their own carbon emissions.
Planet Mark is an Eden Project initiative, founded to support organisations with the decarbonisation of their businesses, with a mission to build a sustainable, brighter future for us and our planet. As a partner of the UN-backed Race to Zero campaign, Planet Mark is committed to helping businesses of all sizes set credible plans to reach rigorous net zero targets.
Leading experts in their field, they were able to offer a wealth of free resources:
- Climate for SMEs: 4 steps to actions: Heart of the City
- SME Carbon footprint calculator – Carbon Trust
- Personal carbon footprint calculator – WWF
- Website carbon calculator – Wholegrain Digital
- Material alternatives report – WRAP
- Food waste redistribution app – OLIO
- Target setting tool – Science based targets
- Designing and communication reduction targets – WRI
- LED savings calculator – Philips
- Sustainable product ranking – Ethical consumer
- Commit to cutting carbon with the support of this national community – UK SME Climate Hub
BE Offices is proud of its green credentials and has set its own very ambitious target to be carbon neutral by the end of 2025.